Module 3 – Case
Pivot Table and Multi-Attribute Decision Analysis
You are the lead consultant for the Diligent Consulting Group. It is
mid-October. One of your top clients, Sunshine Floor Barn, has just
closed the books for the first three quarters of the year (January
through September). Sunshine Floor Barn requests that you analyze the
sales performance of its 5 product lines over this 3-quarter period.
From past consulting work you have done for the company, you know that
Sunshine Floor Barn has 4 regions and 18 total store locations. Each
Regional Manager at the company has compiled the data for his/her
region. The raw data provided consists of the sales revenue for each of
the 5 premium flooring lines for all 4 regions and 18 locations for the
first three quarters of the current year.
The data have been provided in list format. Generate a Pivot Table
Report with Charts. Use the Pivot Table and Charts to analyze the data.
Following your in-depth analysis of the data, write a report to Sunshine
Floor Barn in which you discuss and analyze the data, and make
appropriate recommendations relative to how Sunshine Floor Barn should
improve its sales performance going forward.
Data: To begin, download the list data here: Data chart for BUS520 Case 3
Provide accurate and complete Excel analysis (Pivot Table with Charts).
- Length requirement: 4–5 pages minimum (not including Cover and Reference pages). NOTE: You must have 4–5 pages of written discussion and analysis. This means you should avoid use of tables and charts as “space fillers.”
- Provide a brief introduction to/background of the problem.
- Using the Pivot Table and Pivot Charts, discuss and analyze the data, noting key highs and lows, trends, etc.
- Include charts from your Pivot Table to support your written
analysis. (Please do not use charts as “space fillers.” Instead, use
them strategically to support your written analysis.)
- In a “Recommendations” section, give clear, specific, and meaningful
recommendations that Sunshine Floor Barn should use to improve overall
- Be sure to consider highs, lows, and trends in the data. Which
cities are the highest performers? Lowest? Which regions and quarter had
the highest sales? Lowest sales? Consider what may be driving the
numbers: Poor marketing? Outstanding marketing strategies? Inventory
management? Seasonal sales? Other? There are innumerable possibilities.
Your role is to reflect on the data, and ultimately, to use the data to
give useful recommendations.
- Write clearly, simply, and logically. Use double-spaced, black Verdana or Times Roman font in 12 pt. type size.
- Have an introduction at the beginning to introduce the topics and use keywords as headings to organize the report.
- Avoid redundancy and general statements such as “All organizations exist to make a profit.” Make every sentence count.
- Paraphrase the facts using your own words and ideas, employing
quotes sparingly. Quotes, if absolutely necessary, should rarely exceed
- Upload both your written report and Excel file to the Case 3 Dropbox.