This assignment will consist of two parts:
- Revision of your research paper
- Expanded reflection on the research writing process and experience, to be answered separately in the “comments” box of the assignment folder.
This assignment is worth 100 points (10%) of your final course grade.
Earning the maximum possible score on this assignment will require students to:
Step 1: complete all assigned components and answer reflection questions (earning up to 100% of the possible points)
Please note that there is no “step 2” (revise and resubmit option) for this assignment. Completion of the “initial submission” will earn you up to 100% of the possible points.
To see required components and associated points in the assignment rubric, please view this assignment through the Assignments area of the classroom and scroll to the bottom.
The deadline for submission of this assignment is the end of Week 8 (Tuesday, 11:59 PM Eastern; last day of class).
Step 1: Submission (earn up to 100% of the possible points for the assignment)
Your submission should include all of the following components:
Part 1: Research Paper Revisions (60 points)
You will review the feedback that you have received on your first draft (from your instructor, peer review, and/or self-review), and you will make revisions and edits based on your goals.
You will track the changes from your first draft so that your instructor can easily identify where you made revisions.
- Use strikethrough to indicate areas that should be deleted.
- Use bold-face to indicate areas where you are adding content.
Part 2: Expanded Reflection (40 points)
You will answer reflective questions on the research writing experience and process. This is an expanded reflection because it requires more in-depth answers than the reflection questions on previous assignments. It is also worth a greater proportion of the assignment grade.
- Where did you decide to focus your revision efforts, and why? Answer in one paragraph of approximately 5-7 sentences, and be as specific as possible.
- What changes occurred in your understanding of your selected issue during the course of researching and writing? Consider what you knew or believed about the topic before and what you know or believe about it now. Also consider whether you look at the issue from a different perspective following your research and whether you have reconsidered opinions or assumptions that you held at the beginning of the semester. Answer in one paragraph of approximately 5-7 sentences, and be as specific as possible.
- How did changes in your understanding of your selected issue occur? Consider which sources from your research had the greatest effect on your understanding. Also consider the role of interaction with your classmates, professor, and/or other people. Answer in one paragraph of approximately 5-7 sentences, and be as specific as possible.
- What did you learn about the writing process in general or about your writing process in particular? Consider techniques or approaches that did or did not work for you as well as techniques or approaches that you would like to try in the future. Also consider any obstacles that you faced, how you handled them, and whether you would handle them the same or differently in the future. Answer in one paragraph of approximately 5-7 sentences, and be as specific as possible.
Sources for expanded reflection: No minimum number of sources. Cite any sources you use in APA format.