MLA FORMAT NO OUTSIDE SOURCE
Choose one of the following two prompts that reminds you of a story about yourself.
- Think back in your life to something you did or said that makes you proud. Describe the event, what you did or said, and how your decision impacted your life.
- Think back to an experience that had a significant effect on your life. Describe the experience, why it was so impactful, and how your life is different today because of it.
As a general guideline, avoid any story that would be inappropriate for a college classroom discussion. (This would include illegal or elicit activities….both real and imagined!
All stories should include a theme, or message. However, your theme does not have to be a moral lesson or a deep philosophical message. It can simple reveal a human emotion with which we all can relate.
Your narrative should be between 800-1,000 words and be divided into three basic parts:
- Introduction: Needs to include general background information (the setting) and a hint of the theme (Your purpose behind telling the story).
- Body: Needs to have a clear sequence of events. Paragraphs should be divided at major shifts in the story. (In other words, do not limit yourself to only three paragraphs in the body. Also, your paragraphs may vary in length.)
- Conclusion: Needs to clearly state the theme, or the overall message of the story. (Ex: Did you learn from this experience that you had more strength than you thought possible? Did you learn not to take yourself so seriously? Did you discover how to trust other people?) Remember that this does not have to be more than two or three sentences.
Of course, you will want to review my comments on your narrative outlines before beginning your essays. (Remember that since you will not use any outside sources for this essay, you will have no need for a works cited or references page.