In Module Six, you have explored logistical and cultural considerations for managing diverse teams. In this assignment, you will apply what you have learned by analyzing a case study to draw conclusions about corporate social responsibility in an international context.
Read the case study Apple and Its Suppliers: Corporate Social Responsibility, taking careful note of examples and explanations of Apple’s views on corporate social responsibility, countries involved in the supply chain, and whom the public held responsible for the ethical violations.
Specifically, you must address the following rubric criteria:
- Key Points: Briefly summarize key points that the case raises, such as who was involved; key problems and concerns identified; and questions about corporate social responsibility, public opinion, and/or international business.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Explain how corporate social responsibility, specifically related to employee treatment, is important to a business.
- Public Opinion: Explain how the media and public opinion influenced the situation and what lessons a business practitioner can learn from Apple’s experience with how the media and the public can impact business.
- International Business: The case states that although the concerns regarding poor employee treatment were related to events at manufacturing facilities such as Foxconn and Pegatron, the concerns regarding corporate social responsibility fell to Apple. Explain what this can teach business professionals about international business and supply chain management.
- Labor Practices: Compare the advantages and disadvantages of commonly used labor practices in international business.
- The Road Ahead: The end of the case raises a few questions regarding how Apple should proceed. On the basis of what you have learned in this module and throughout the course, explain how you think Apple should have proceeded following the incident outlined in the case and why. Make sure to use evidence from course and/or external resources to support your response.