As you learned earlier, most legal writing is organized using the IRAC (Issue, Rule, Analysis/Application, Conclusion) method. Before you begin your Assignment, complete the Legal Reasoning Activity, to practice identifying statutory facts and applying them to different legal situations.
Keon Alexander has come to this office with a problem. The city of Brooklyn, Michigan, recently sent him a notice stating that they intend take his home and surrounding property through an eminent domain action. Mr. Alexander suspected the city was going to try to take his home eventually, because the city is building a new park nearby, and they have already taken and destroyed several houses to prepare for the park project. Mr. Alexander explained that his house is different, though, since it is located just adjacent to the park project, unlike the houses that were located within the proposed park boundaries.
When he went down to city hall to ask why his house was included in the eminent domain action, someone at the City explained that they wanted to give his property to a private company, SportingPro, that intends to build a state-of-the-art sports complex next to the park. The city will not own any part of the complex, but they expect the tax revenues generated by the sports complex to help boost the city’s income enough to complete the park project. Mr. Alexander wants to know if the city is allowed to take his property for that purpose.
Your managing attorney, Rolle Model, has asked you to research this issue and write a predictive memorandum of law that sets forth the rights and duties of both Mr. Alexander and the city. Specifically research, can the city take Mr. Alexander’s property and give it to a private company for the purpose of generating increased tax revenue? Be sure to cite to primary authoritative sources and follow the format provided in the template example.
In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the Assignment, a successful paper must also meet the following criteria:
- Length should be 2-3 pages, excluding cover page and references page.
- Double-spaced and in a 12-point font.
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained.
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful, including headings.
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics.
- Appropriate Bluebook citation style should be followed.
- Initial reference to the source should include the full citation and subsequent references to the source can use Bluebook’s short citation format.