Short Answer Question
- Choose ONE question from part A and ONE question from part B to answer.
- Your answers should be in complete sentences and be between two to three paragraphs.
- You may only use information provided to you from your textbook or a reading in the module.
- Please use proper citation, and upload the document as a Microsoft Word attachment.
Plagiarism policy: In the case of plagiarism, there will be no rewrites. At a minimum, you will receive a “0” for the assignment and a referral to the Dean of Students.
Refer to the Short Answer Questions Rubric to understand how you may earn full credit for this assignment.
- For “Carnegie Speaks: A Recording of the Gospel of Wealth” please answer the following:
- Who was the author of the document? Provide a short biography of the author (be sure to provide a citation for the source used). See the citation guide embedded in the Course Content Browser for examples.
- What evidence in the document helps you know why it was written? Quote from the document.
- What three things are found in the document which tell you about life in the United States at the time it was written? Quote from the document.
- After reading “Bryant’s Cross of Gold Speech,” please answer the following:
- Summarize the point of the speech; why it was given and to accomplish what end?
- What is the “money question” to which Bryant refers?
- Bryant indicates that there are two classes. What/who are they?
- Lastly, why do you think Bryant uses religious imagery in the end of his speech? What image does this bring up? Why, in your opinion, did Bryant think this was necessary to include?
- Who was Booker T. Washington? What was his background? After reading “Booker T. Washington Delivers the 1895 Atlanta Compromise Speech,” explain what his plan was for African Americans and why knowing his background helps to understand his message.
- The West Experienced tremendous growth after the Civil War. Write an essay on the consequences of population growth on the western landscape, looking at farming, livelihoods, impact of the railroad, growth of Native American reservations and the subjugation of the Native Americans.
- Analyze the various roles women played during the era, from social reformer, to feminist, to suffragette. How did various women define freedom? Be sure to distinguish between different types of women and use specific examples in your answer.
- By 1900, who was entitled to fully enjoy the blessings of American liberty? Be sure to include African-Americans, women, labor, and immigrants in your answer.