Instructions: This is a 2 part assignment. First, you must do research on the internet. Locate TWO primary sources that are directly related to United States history, are dated from 1831-1865, and are related to each other. Second, fill out the primary source analysis worksheet below, based on your reading and analysis of your chosen primary sources. You will be graded on the accuracy, depth, and completeness of your answers to the questions. For help with filling out the analysis worksheet, see the course home, section “About Primary Source Analysis.” Please submit the assignment here.
Remember, you are researching TWO documents. The dates of the documents must be 1831-1865, and the documents must be related to United States history and to each other. When selecting your documents, be absolutely sure that they are primary and not secondary. Choosing a secondary document will negatively affect your grade. Copy and paste the worksheet below into your word processing program.
2 PRIMARY SOURCES
- TYPES OF DOCUMENTS:
_____CONGRESSIONAL RECORD _____BILL/LAW
_____POLITCAL CARTOON _____PRESS RELEASE
_____DIARY ENTRY _____REPORT
_____OTHER (BE SPECIFIC):
WEB ADDRESS OF DOCUMENT 1:
WEB ADDRESS OF DOCUMENT 2:
- DATE(S) OF THE DOCUMENTS:
- AUTHORS (OR CREATORS) OF THE DOCUMENTS:
- FOR WHAT AUDIENCES WERE THE DOCUMENTS WRITTEN?
- QUOTE 3 THINGS STATED IN EACH DOCUMENT THAT YOU THINK ARE IMPORTANT AND EXPLAIN WHY EACH IS IMPORTANT:
6. EXPLAIN IN DETAIL WHY YOU THINK THESE DOCUMENTS ARE RELATED:
7. WHAT EVIDENCE IN THE DOCUMENTS HELPED YOU TO KNOW HOW THEY ARE HISTORICALLY CONNECTED?
8. LIST AND EXPLAIN AT LEAST 2 THINGS THE DOCUMENTS, WHEN CONSIDERED TOGETHER, TELL YOU ABOUT LIFE IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME THE DOCUMENTS WERE WRITTEN.
9. WRITE A PARAGRAPH EXPLAINING HOW THESE TWO DOCUMENTS, TOGETHER, SUPPORT A HISTORICAL CONCLUSION.