News Journal Written Assignment:
News Journals require you to relate current events to the topics covered within POS 2041, American National Government. For your first Journal please choose from one of the articles listed below.
- McCain proposes $7.5 billion of new U.S. military funding for Asia-Pacific
- How Much Do States Rely on Federal Funding?
- Raising the Gas Tax Is No Longer Taboo In Many States
- California Engages World, and Fights Washington, on Climate Change
As you review the articles you will find that some are fairly direct while other reveal the complexity of federal issues. Chose the article that you are most comfortable with and then fully address each of the following requirements:
- Summary – Summarize in paragraph form the facts and issues presented in the article. Please document the source of your information with a parenthetical reference.
- Application – Apply one or more concepts from the Federalism chapter in your textbook to the information in the news article. Specifically explain how the material in your textbook is illustrated in the article you are examining. This can be accomplished by using examples from the article and terms or concepts found in the textbook. (see attached powerpoint)
- Analysis – Conclude with an analysis and reflection of the issue that includes reasoning related to concepts within POS 2041 an analysis of the article perspective. Does the article present the issue in a way that influences as well as informs. Lastly, include your own observations of the issue, the actions of those involved or an anticipated outcome related to your understanding of the concepts covered within the course.
- In order to receive credit, you are required to:
- Divide your assignment into paragraphs and identify each section by number and title as listed above.
- Submit your response in at least 350 words, excluding the title page and reference page.
- Provide in-text citations and references in the APA writing format.