“The Classical Tradition reborn” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- Identify two (2) classical Greek and / or Roman figures or qualities in any work by Michelangelo or by Raphael. Discuss the primary reasons why popes and other patrons might allow such trappings of ancient pagan culture within a Christian society, even in sacred contexts. Provide a rationale for your response. Describe any modern structure or sculpture or work of art where you can identify either ancient pagan images or features, or a mix of elements from different cultures and periods.
Michelangelo and Raphael: The Classical Tradition Reborn
- Chapter 15 (pp. 494-5, 505-513), Stylistic features and imagery from ancient classical art and myth; review Week 8 Music Folder
- Sistine Chapel tour at http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/sistine-chapel-ceiling.html
- Sistine Chapel information at http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/m/michelan/3sistina/index.html
- Sistine Chapel theory at http://karlzipser.com/michelangelo.html