Part A: California Tribes – Short Essay
Select one California Indian tribe from the following list:
- The Chumash
- The Maidu
- The Miwok (Lake or Coast)
- The Yuma
- The Modoc
- The Kawaisu
- The Serrano
- The Cahuilla
Research your selected tribe using the text, University Library, the Internet, or other resources.
Prepare an essay of at least 350 words that addresses the following specific questions about your selected California Indian tribe:
- What were the tribe’s spiritual beliefs?
- Social structures
- What types of settlement and shelters were common?
- What types of food were typically consumed, and how was it gathered?
- Geographic location
- What area of California was the tribe’s predominate territory?
- Did the geographic location have an effect on social structure?
Part B: Spanish Settlement and Indian Assimilation
Create a simple timeline showing several milestones of Spanish influence your selected California Indian tribe from Part A.
Prepare one- to two-paragraph, short answers to each of the following general questions:
- What were some ways the Spanish mission system was effective? What were some ways it was ineffective?
- Why did the Spanish choose the mission system as their method of assimilating native California Indians? What was the overall effect of the mission system on the Indians?
- How effective was the mission system as a tool to assimilate your selected Indian tribe?
- What was the influence of the Franciscans on the politics or religion of your selected tribe?
- Would you consider the treatment of the Indian tribes by the Franciscans under Father Junipero Serra cruel and inhumane? Or, was Father Serra merely a typical 18th-century priest doing what he thought was right and best in his treatment of the Indians?
Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.