The purpose of this Course Project is to engage students in understanding the far reaching challenges and opportunities of operating an international business. Upon the completion of this Course Project, students will also have a greater appreciation of how culture, political systems, society, and other factors impact business practices not only domestically but internationally.
The Course Project must be comprehensive and follow the following analytical stages.
- There are four sections in this Course Project and are due at the end of Weeks 2, 4, 6, and 8. At the end of Week 8, you will submit a complete report containing all sections along with a cover page, table of contents, body text with appropriate subtitles, references page, and appendices. There is a separate reflection document which students will complete individually and submit.
- Each section should be two- to three-pages in length with appropriate references shown on the references page. The final report should be 8- to 12-pages in length not including the cover page, references page, and appendices. If embedded images are used, they should be sized appropriately and integrated with the text.
- Sections should be formatted according to DeVry’s APA guidelines. Refer to the Files section of the Course Menu for the DeVry Manual on APA as well as other supporting documents.
- Even though this is not a scientific-type writing assignment and is mostly creative in nature, references are still very important. At least five authoritative, outside references are required (anonymous authors or web pages are not acceptable). These should be referenced following APA guidelines.
- Appropriate citations are required following APA guidelines.
- All DeVry University Policies are in effect, including the Plagiarism Policy.
- Please post any questions about these papers in the Course Q & A Forum in the Introduction and Resources module.
- Your report will be graded on quality of research, quality of paper information, use of citations, grammar, and sentence structure (see rubrics below).
Suggestions for Preparing Your Report
- Apply a three-step process of writing: Plan, Write, and Complete.
- Prepare an outline of your research paper before you go forward.
- Complete a first draft and then go back to edit, evaluate, and make any changes required.
- Consider using visual communication to further clarify and support the written part of your report.
- Use graphs, diagrams, photographs, flowcharts, maps, drawings, tables, and charts.
Section 1: Business Profile (due at the end of Week 2)
- Name, history (background), and ownership (private, public, government, or mixed)
- Country or countries where the business operates
- Stock exchange identifier and listing
- Description of the products and services (4 P’s) offered and where sold
- SWOT analysis
Section 2: Competition, Social, and Economic Factors (due at the end of Week 4)
- Demographics of consumers
- Organization structure
- Entrance and exit strategies
- Government structure and economic indicators
Section 3: Marketing, Operations, and Human Resources (due at the end of Week 6)
- Marketing strategies
- Pricing strategies
- Global operations and supply chain
- Compensation and appraisal system
- Employee culture, employer relations, and practices
Section 4: Global Finances (due at the end of Week 8)
- Exchange rates
- Sources of funds
- Stock performance
- Accounting practices (GAAP and IFRS)
- Financial performance