Exercise Physiology – Key Assessment
Directions: Utilizing the knowledge gained in this course review and answer each of the following questions.
- List and describe the steps of muscle contraction from nerve impulse to gross movement. Include the crossbridge cycle and role of ATP in the process.
- What are the short- and long-term (acute and chronic) mechanisms by which the body increases VO2?
- Select an external stressor (heat, cold, or altitude) and describe how the body acclimates and acclimatizes to it.
- Identify and explain 2 physical adaptations to a) resistance training, and b) endurance training (4 total).
- Briefly define respiratory exchange ratio and crossover effect; Sketch a graph showing the crossover effect, and explain how exercise duration and mass action effect can affect the shape of the curves.