ENGL 2130 American Literature: For each short answer response, construct at least five complete sentences. See the attachment for the following questions listed below.
- Identify the analogy in paragraph 9 of “The War Prayer” by Mark Twain. How does this analogy contribute to the old man’s message?
- According to “The War Prayer,” by Mark Twain how are people changed by war? How does war affect people? What is the relationship between war and peace? Can one bring about the other? Use evidence from “The War Prayer” to help support your response.
- Ambrose Bierce was nicknamed “Bitter Bierce,” and his motto was, “Nothing matters.” Do you detect bitterness in the story, “An Occurrence at Owl Creek?” Explain.
- How do people face death? Support your answer with evidence from “An Occurrence at Owl Creek” by Ambrose Bierce and your own experience.
- How does the author’s choice of the order of events in “An Occurrence at Owl Creek” by Ambrose Bierce affect its theme?