A mother brings her daughter into the emergency room during an asthma attack. Though both of her parents work, they cannot afford medical insurance for themselves or her. They also earn too much money to qualify for state or federal aid. She is treated with medication for her asthma attack at the hospital and she and her mother leave. Two weeks later, they return to the hospital in a virtually identical scenario.
In a 4-5 page paper, consider the following questions and explain your position of the issues:
- Do you think that this girl is receiving adequate care?
- Should she be able to see a primary-care physician before her condition gets so acute that she must visit the ER?
- Should everyone be entitled to a basic minimum of health care or to the exact same health care?
- Do you think that health care is a right? If so, is everyone forced to honor this right?
- Is this right relative or universal?
- Does this right exist because of the wealth of the United States, or is it applicable everywhere?
- Is health care a luxury?
- Does having money entitle a person to better health care?