For this essay, you need to extrapolate some theories from Barton Fink about how the protagonist discovers himself. Using those themes about discovery, relate them to Flannery O’Connor’s “Revelation”.
In your discussion, you will want to quote or paraphrase directly from the film and/or the story. Please use MLA format. Also, follow these guidelines to build your arguments.
• Make certain that your thesis states the topic and asserts something specific and significant about it. Underline the thesis, which should be the last sentence in your introductory paragraph.
• Your topic sentences should point backward in that they prove part of the thesis, and they should also point forward in that they are a predictor of what will be discussed in particular paragraphs.
• Check for coherence in your paper. Link your ideas together by using transitions and/or inserting phrases or subordinate clauses when appropriate.
• Your conclusion should drive home the main idea of the essay and summarize key concepts that you want your reader to take away from your essay.
Attached are the two documents are the readings. The Barton Fink is also available online on youtube as a $2.99 movie rental.
Please create a new thesis or revise the working thesis to fit the criteria above. Under each theme heading there should be two paragraphs. One about Barton and one about Mrs. Turpin. Feel free to add or revise the outline.
General Essay Outline:
Give a jist about what both stories are about and what you are going to discuss in the essay.
In both literary pieces Barton Fink by Ethan Coen & Joel Coen and Revelation by Flannery O’Connor, they express similar themes of arrogance, downfall and discovery throughout the text and end with contrasting endings.
Heading 1: Arrogance
Talk about how Barton Fink shows arrogance bring in text from script to support textual analysis and critical thinking. Talk about how Mrs. Turpin shows arrogance and bring in text from story to support textual analysis and critical thinking.
Heading 2: Downfall
Talk about how each character has someone to knock some sense into them that they aren’t such amazing people.
– For Barton Fink you would talk about people such as Charlie and how they brought him to his senses that he has lost everything and isn’t such a hotshot etc etc, bring in text from script to support textual analysis and critical thinking.
– For Mrs. Turpin you would talk about people such as Mary and how they brought her to her senses that she isn’t a good because shes a christian, and that shes actually a ugly old wart hog.
Heading 3: Discovery
Talk about how both of the endings are contrast one another. How are they different? What do they realize?
What does this text mean?
“At length she got down and turned off the faucet and in her slow way
on the darkening path to the house. In woods around her the invisible
cricket choruses had struck up, but what she heard were the voices of
the souls climbing upward into the starry field and shouting hallelujah.”
“You are beautiful …You’re very beautiful. Are you in pictures?
Conclusion: should drive home the main idea of the essay and summarize key concepts that you want your reader to take away from your essay.