PAPER MUST BE 2-3 PAGES IN LENGTH (NOT INCLUDING TITLE AND REFERENCE PAGE) 2-3 FULL PAGES (DO NO GO BY WORD COUNT) PROPER APA THROUGHOUT. INCLUDING SUBHEADINGS BETWEEN SECTIONS. USE REFERENCES PROVIDED BELOW.
Application: Communication Skills used in Criminal Justice
It would be great to leave the world a better place than you found it through the results of your effective communication. Well-crafted and effectively delivered communication has the potential to do just that. Criminal justice is a great example because it is an integral component of society with the potential for reaching a wide audience base and having large implications and repercussions. The ability to identify when miscommunication occurs—by yourself or others—is critically important to improving the clarity and effectiveness of your own communication skills.
For this assignment, select at least three basic communication skills from the list below that might be beneficial to professionals within the criminal justice system. Consider how these skills might be beneficial in your current professional role or in a criminal justice role in which you are interested.
- Taking writing seriously
- Having something worth saying
- Making straightforward declarative sentences
- Writing clearly and without clutter
The Assignment (2–3 pages)
- Describe the basic communication skills you selected and explain how the effective use of each might be beneficial to professionals within the criminal justice system.
- Explain how these basic communication skills might be beneficial in your current professional role or in a criminal justice role in which you are interested.
- Gibbons, D. C., & Farr, K. A. (1998). The good, the bad, and the ugly: Dealing with flawed writing in criminal justice. Crime & Delinquency, 44(3), 464–474.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.