Coaching and Consultation Models
Recognizing the many characteristics and roles of career counseling is beneficial in informing you as to the value and expertise each offers clients. As you review Chapter 10, keep in mind how the traditional consultation model has given rise to a variety of modalities that focus on specific roles in the consultation process.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Compare and contrast the models and goals of coaching and consulting as they apply to vocational psychology. Think about the following questions:
- What are the challenges or dilemmas associated with each model?
- What are the benefits of each model?
- Which aspects of the models most appeal to you? Does one model resonate with your more than the other? If so, why?
- How could your work with clients be informed by one of both of these models?.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a comparison between coaching and consulting, a summary of key insights gained about the use of the coaching and consulting models, and how you could utilize these approaches in your work with clients.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.