The purpose of this baseline assessment is to get an understanding of how you are already thinking about some of the topics that we will cover in this course. There are no right or wrong answers. My only expectation is that you fully engage with the prompts and answer the questions as thoroughly as possible. Please provide detailed answers and refer to personal experience, current events, and previous academic exposure to the topic which informs your opinion.
1) Why are you taking this class? What are you hoping to get out of it? Have you taken other education courses?
-I am taking this class to get an minor in education, Yes I had the opportunity to take some online classes like biology and web design.
2) What do you believe are the purposes of schooling/education in society? Please try to provide at least three purposes that you think reflect the role that schools play in society, and explain how you think they work and don’t work, and why you believe what you believe.
3) Define the “American Dream” as you think of it. What role do you think schools/education plays in preparing/supporting people to achieve the American dream?
4) Have you taken any courses that use critical pedagogy or democratic education? If so, please provide a brief description of that experience. If not, please provide a brief description of what you think each is.
5) Have you taken an online course before? If so, what did you both like and dislike about taking an online course? If not, what are your thoughts about online learning?
6) Do you think you have the ability to change society? If so, how so? If not, why not?