Assignment 1: Traits of Leaders or Authority / Power / Influence
Due Week 3 and worth 200 points
For this assignment, select one (1) of the following topics that expand on traits of leadership:
- Situational Leadership in an Evolving Workplace
- Supervisor versus Boss or Leader versus Manager
- Key Differences Among Successful Introverted and Extroverted Leaders
- Key Distinctions Among Successful Transactional and Transformational Leaders
OR one (1) of the following topics that expand on authority, power, or influence:
- The Benefits and Drawbacks of Reverse Brainstorming
- Going from Team Member to Team Manager
- Key Differences in Situational Leadership with Team Members at Varying Skill Levels
- The Leaderâ€™s Main Job Is to Ask the Right Questions
- Principle-Centered Leadership Cannot Be Learned or Taught
- Servant Leadership Cannot Be Learned or Taught
Use the following appropriate EBSCOhost Web databases to research your chosen topic: Academic Search Complete, Business Source Complete, Education Source, Research Starters â€“ Business, Research Starters â€“ Education, and / or ERIC.
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you:
- Provide an explanation and overview of your selected topic.
- Examine the three (3) trends reflected the most in current research findings and prevailing attitudes about your topic.
- Compare and contrast the strengths, weaknesses, advantages, and disadvantages inherent in your subject of choice.
- Predict the future direction of the research and thought on your topic. Include your own informed opinion of what is next for the topic you have explored.
- Include at least three (3) references (no more than five  years old) from material outside the textbook.
Note: You may be more specific about your topic without clearing these kinds of related, more narrowly focused topics with the professor. If in doubt, call or email the professor, or use the â€œAsk the Professorâ€ section in the Student Center. You may choose a related topic not listed above if you clear it with the professor at least a week before the due date.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze concepts and techniques of leadership within the context of various educational and training environments.
- Apply theories of and best practices in leadership, decision making, communications, organizational culture, motivation, management, performance appraisal, and evaluation to various educational environments.
- Analyze theories of and best practices in leadership, decision making, communications, conflict management, organizational culture, motivation, management, performance appraisal, and evaluation.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in educational administration and leadership.
- Write clearly and concisely about educational administration and leadership using proper writing mechanics.